The digital transformation of companies is an unstoppable process. In this important change it is important to highlight the role of IoT in the industry 4. 0 . The so-called Internet of Things (IoT) has changed the way of working within many companies. It has generated new business models. For this reason, it is essential to know what IoT has meant in the fourth industrial revolution.
The power of network connection for businesses
What does the Internet of Things or IoT mean in industry 4.0? It means the ability of any type of machine or device to connect to the network. This circumstance has helped maximize the efficiency of all industrial processes. As? Thanks to the anticipation of errors in many cases.
The IoT in industry 4.0 allows to gather useful information that can be used to:
- The right decision making.
- The cost savings by anticipating possible failures.
- Obtaining data in real time. Very important, especially for logistics companies that need to communicate to their customers the status of their shipments.
- Improvement of the factory production chain. The Internet of Things allows machines to regulate themselves by automating the manufacturing process. This implies a considerable improvement, especially in the production of products in which assembly chains, cold chains or distribution systems are involved.
- Not only economic savings are produced with IoT in industry 4.0, but also the time spent on different types of transactions is reduced.
The reality of IoT in industry 4.0
It has been estimated that at the end of last year 2017 there were 8,400 million devices connected to the Internet. This figure makes us suspect that there is no turning back in this revolution and that companies urgently need to continue adapting to new technologies.
Industry 4.0 is characterized by being surrounded by intelligent devices capable of connecting to the network to obtain useful information. We have gone from working in IT environments to move on to industrial work within IoT environments. Until recently these two environments were not connected to each other. So his vulnerability was limited.
With the advent of the Internet of Things, the alarm around cybersecurity in companies has also been triggered . The attacks that can suffer these environments are of great concern to the factories and industries that delay their transformation according to what is known as the fourth industrial revolution.
The IoT in industry 4.0 plays a very important role in the digital transformation of companies. A process of change that also implies the inclusion of security systems that guarantee to keep computer hackers away .
And it is that we are facing a path in which IoT, Big Data and new technologies such as virtual reality will mark a before and after within the industries.